Edition Changes

Good day,

Today I’d like to tell you about the changes in the CS-Cart product line, which are to come in action soon.

As CS-Cart Ultimate has been released the total count of CS-Cart editions has grown up to 4. Such a variety allowed us to cover the needs of a wide range of customers, but as a side effect choosing a proper edition has gotten more complex for our clients, and we had to spend more time and human resources on the whole line maintenance and cross-edition upgrades.

Eventually, we’ve come to the decision to simplify the edition set by reducing their number to 2. This measure will make it easier to find the right product edition and will positively affect the development process of the new CS-Cart versions.
New CS-Cart Editions

Free Mode instead of Community Edition

The 1st change to come, which will be announced together with the CS-Cart 3.0.3 release, is the Community edition discontinuation.

Starting from version 3.0.3 no new Community licenses will be issued. Neither CS-Cart 3.0.3 nor any of the aftercoming releases will include Community edition. Though all current Community license owners will be able to continue using the software according to the license agreement.

As a replacement for CS-Cart Community, in the near future we will introduce the opportunity to use commercial CS-Cart Ultimate edition on a free basis, with functionality limitations identical to the ones currently present in Community edition.

In other words, there will be a distribution package (CS-Cart Ultimate), which will include the possibility of free usage. This will make switching to the full-featured commercial version much easier — just enter a valid commercial license key to unlock all the paid store features — no more edition upgrade needed!

Professional and Ultimate Editions United

The 2nd change will result in Professional and Ultimate editions being merged into a new united edition. Probably, we will keep the name “Ultimate” for it.

The new edition will collect the best out of the existing CS-Cart Professional and CS-Cart Ultimate to provide a more handy and versatile solution for all our clients. At the same time the edition will include the possibility of free usage, which is described above.

Here are some of the advantages of the new united edition:

• a license can be purchased with any number of storefronts starting from 1 (like having 1 CS-Cart Professional license)
  • easy extending with additional storefronts (like in CS-Cart Ultimate)
  • no more complicated license manipulations like converting Professional licenses to Ultimate Storefront ones
  • no more painstaking choosing between Professional and Ultimate — you can start with a single storefront and then easily increase their number if you need to
  • simple switching from free mode to commercial one with no need of the full-blooded software upgrade
  • opportunity to try multi-store functionality for free

As for now the release date for the united edition is not defined, but we will do our best to get it released this year.

We’ll be happy to answer all your questions about the changes in CS-Cart editions. You can contact us via Twitter, Facebook or right here in the comments.

UPDATE: Converting Professional Edition licenses to additional storefronts of existing Ultimate licenses will be possible only until the release of the united edition.

As soon as the united edition is released, all the existing Professional licenses will be automatically converted to Ultimate core licenses with 1 storefront.

Note that it is not possible to merge multiple Ultimate licenses together in order to join their storefronts under a single Ultimate license.

39 Responses to “Edition Changes”

1. I was a little concerned when I received a ticket status update about the changes. After reading this blog post, I’m now crystal clear and great job! I don’t like rolling out free sites no more that CS-Cart wants to be in the free cart biz :)

This makes total sense and this will make transitioning my clients to more features, when they need and it will make my life much easier helping them.

Great decision and keep up the great work. P.S. Since you won’t be releasing a new Community edition, you might want to fix the group bug in 3.0.2 until you can get the new versions out the door.

Thanks again..
    Eric Caldwell – CEO
    Web-JIVE.com

• Thanks a lot, Eric!

It feels so good to know our clients approve of the changes we plan to make. We appreciate it so much!

Could you please specify, what group bug you refer to?

• I put in a ticket for Community 3.0.2. You have to delete some code in one of the files which keeps you from being able to add users. The code in reference is trying to add the user to a group table which only exists in the Pro and Ultimate editions.

2. How about current users of the Professional edition? A few months ago I purchased a Pro license for my store. Will they “migrate” to this new Ultimate product or is it a separate entity?

• Dear Denis,

Probably, the scenario for the Professional license holders will be similar as like for Community license owners: they will be able to continue using the CS-Cart software according to the license agreement.
      However, this is still not confirmed, and we will provide more details later.

• Jesse says:

So you are saying a Professional license will not be upgraded to Ultimate free of charge? We recently purchased a professional and hold two other professional licenses purchased less than one year ago.

I would expect we would be given the ability for a free one time upgrade to Ultimate editions?

• Hello Jesse.

Your Professional licenses will be exchanged to the same number of the new unite edition licenses for free. If you currently have 2 separate CS-Cart installations, you will have the same 2 separate installations of the new edition as well. Nothing will be changed for you except the ability to add additional storefronts (at a fee) in each of your CS-Cart Ultimate installations.

3. Peter says:

Just wondering what the new price will be for Ultimate Edition. Are you going to keep it at the Professional price? That would be sweet.

4. Dvsgr says:

Is the free version already available?

And wil it be a 30 days Demo with full features still available?
    If yes how will this be handled after the 30 days? Will it lockdown to free version automaticly?

• Hello,

The free version of CS-Cart Ultimate has not been introduced yet.
      The free 30-day trial versions of Professional, Ultimate and Multi-Vendor editions are available as usual and on the same conditions.

Any announcements regarding new product line changes will be posted in the blog, stay tuned!

5. Gabriel says:

Thanks to great decisions to make CS-Cart editions more simple. I’m criticized this fact about editions time before and now I’m honestly surprised about your decisions.

Is there any plan to change payment politic for upgrades?

6. Haris says:

What about Multi Vendor Edition? I did not read anything about it? Will it still be available?

• Dear Haris,

Thank you for the good question!

CS-Cart Multi-Vendor edition is available and it will remain this way. It is not stated in the post only because there are no changes in Multi-Vendor edition planned so far.

7. Padre says:

Hello Guys, you did a great job. Too many solutions.

I would like to ask you if I buy a license do you still have that 1 year for updates? I really hated it in the past and I am working with a free shopping cart now. A few hundred bucks for your great software and updates for more than 1 year makes an offer to me I cannot refuse. What is the situation now in your upgrading policy?

• Hello Padre,

Glad to hear you appreciate our work.

Yes, we currently offer 1 year free access to new versions and releases along with each CS-Cart license. But as we are going to change this upgrade policy soon. It will be announced in this blog, so please subscribe to it.

8. Capitan says:

I found a few issues in CS-Cart 3.0.2. I am just testing, not having a license. Where is the best place to report them?

9. Andy says:

What will be happend with earliest Pro User who have unlimited update rights?

• You will keep these rights in the new edition as well, but only if it has a single storefront (like it is now in CS-Cart Professional). If you add one or more additional storefronts to it, you will loose the lifetime upgrade rights for this license.

10. PaloVK says:

I have planned upgrade from poffesional to ultimate in a short time. Its really important in time for me, would you know at least, when will edition changes be available?If we couldn wait longer, is there a possibility to do upgrade from 3.0.3 prof to ultimate?

• Hello Palo,

Unfortunately, I cannot let you know the exact date when the Professional and Ultimate editions are merged into a single edition, but it will happen not very soon (in several months).

You are able to upgrade your CS-Cart Professional to Ultimate edition right now. You just need to buy this upgrade license for that.

I hope this information will help you.

11. Holger André says:

Definitley a step back. Community guys we are the ones who first detect and go thru hard to find bugs, how? by using and testing hard by taking it to the limits. No free-community version mean you are biting your own tail. Bad decision!

• Hello André!

I understand that you may have been confused by the news, but as you could read the details, Community Edition will be just replaced with the new Ultimate edition, that you will be able to use in free mode (with the same limitations you currently have in Community Edition). So we will still count on “Community guys”.

When your store grows and you need more features, you will be able to switch to the commercial version of Ultimate Edition very easily with no file or database upgrade (it will be required just to change the license key). It is convenient, isn’t it?

12. DB says:

Hi,

I’ve recently been having a play with the trial version and quite like the look of it.
    However, I’d like to know where I could see what sort of limitations the ‘Free Mode’ will come with so I can evaluate whether it would be worth waiting for its release. My store will only be fairly simple to begin with, so obviously this option to use limited functionality on a free basis is appealing.

Also, if I wanted to get up and running right away, given that you have already discontinued the ‘Community’ edition, am I right in understanding that, until you release the revised line-up, I would need to opt for a paid version?

Many thanks!

• Hi!

The functionality limitations in the future Ultimate free mode will be similar to those in the Community edition, but with the additional musti-store functionality.

Answering your 2nd question, I have to say that until the new product line-up is introduced the only option to continue using CS-Cart is to purchase a commercial license.

I hope I answered your questions, if there is still anything unclear, do not hesitate to ask!

• DB says:

Sorry Konstantin, I should’ve been more specific. I understood from the above posts that functionality will be similar to the ‘Community’ edition but, being only very new to CS Cart, I’m not aware of what that means exactly.

Is there somewhere I can view the limitations of the ‘Community’ edition?

Cheers.

• Oh, I see! Sorry, I did not really get it first.

The following features will be missing in the Free mode (and were missing in the Community edition) compared to Professional edition:

• Marketing and promotion tools
          • Affiliate ecommerce program
          • Membership levels and access
            permission rules
          • Bonus system and customer loyalty
            rewards
          • Multi-channel retailing
          • Return merchandise authorization
          • Multiple languages
          • Multiple product suppliers

The rest of the features of Professional edition will be present, and, as I mentioned before, with the addition of the multi-store functionality.

If you have any further questions, I am keen to answer.

• DB says:

Many thanks, Konstantin. That’s a big help.
            From the looks of it, I probably won’t have an immediate need for most of those features so it may make sense for me to try and wait for the new line-up.
            In saying that I am very much enjoying having a play with the trial version and am quite keen to get it all going so I’ll see how things go.
            Such quick and helpful responses from you guys adds great value too.
            Thanks again!

13. Sara Finch says:

I have a client with a small store and a very limited budget; I was hoping to use the Community Edition to get him started and then upgrade to a pro edition once he gets established in a few years. But now you say Community Edition licenses are no longer available. What should I do? He wants the website built by the end of October.

I have an extra Professional Edition license from 2010 that I’m not using. Should I just use that? Will it be easy to upgrade that to the Ultimate Edition/Free Mode?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Dear Sara,

In this situation I would recommend you to activate your spare Professional license.

Since Community edition is discontinued and Ultimate free mode is not yet released, commercial license is the only option for you if you want to start working on the store right away.

Upgrading CS-Cart Professional to Ultimate should not be of great difficulty. Though it will be not possible to upgrade to Ultimate Free mode from Professional though, you will be able to just download another Ultimate distribution package and use it in the Free mode.

Hopefully, I have answered your questions.

14. Steve Jones says:

Hi,
    I currently have a license for CS Cart Professional 2.x.x.
    It was purchased in October 2010 and the 12 months free upgrade has expired.

I am now looking to get a site up and running in the next couple of weeks.

1) In order to get a copy of CS Cart Professional 3.0.3. do I need to pay an upgrade fee? … and if so how much is it?

2) Will I be able to migrate to CS Cart Ultimate when Professional and Ultimate merge? or free or will I have to pay extra?

3) Will 3rd party templates for CS Cart Professional 3.0.3 work with the merged CS Cart Ultimate?

Thanks, Steve

• Dear Steve,

Let me try to clear it up a bit for you:
      1) Since your upgrade subscription has already expired, you need to renew it in your Help Desk account. The latest version will be available for you in the file area
      2) All active Professional licenses will be upgraded to the new Ultimate ones automatically and free of charge
      3) The customer area is surely going to have some improvements, but generally the modifications are not going to be too significant. So there is a pretty good chance the templates will work just fine.

I hope that was helpful. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

15. Dennis Teppema says:

Hi,

Is it possible to get 1 cart for the multishop.
    For example, when you order 1 item on shop A and then you´ll go to shop B and order an other item. They will both go together in 1 cart.

Is this possible..

• Dear Dennis,

I can not quite understand what exactly you want to achieve. Could you please be a bit more specific? Do you want 2 independent stores to share the same cart?

CS-Cart Multi-Vendor allows customers to use the same cart and checkout process for products of different vendors on the same storefront.
      CS-Cart Ultimate edition, on the opposite, allows you to manage multiple storefronts with separate carts and checkouts from the same admin back-end.

• Dennis Teppema says:

Hi,

We want 1 checkout for different store fronts. Order from shop A, shop B and shop C. And all 3 are in 1 shoppingcart checkout.

• Dear Dennis,

Having a shared checkout for separate storefronts (that is, residing on different URLs) might be quite confusing for a customer, don’t you think? Still, there technically is a possibility to do it, though it would certainly require some custom development (http://www.cs-cart.com/custom-development.html). one way or another, you should understand that this is not a very widespread scenario across the web, and probably for a good reason.

On the other hand, CS-Cart Multi-Vendor provides a way for multiple independent vendors to sell their goods using the same shared storefront, with 1 common checkout process. The orders are automatically split and each vendor gets their share. Using CS-Cart Multi-Vendor might be a better option if you want to provide a sort of an online mall.

The other way might be to use CS-Cart Ultimate, with separate shopping carts for each storefront. But you could make them look the same, so a customer would have a continuous shopping experience across the storefronts.

In case I have misunderstood your request, or you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!