New Admin Panel in CS-Cart 3.1.1

Good day, folks!

Today, as the next CS-Cart release is on the horizon, I would like to tell you about one of the most noticeable changes to be introduced: the new fully redesigned CS-Cart administration panel.

Look and Feel

Our goal was to improve the usability of the CS-Cart admin area by simplifying the visual style and providing the interface that would be easy for users to familiarize themselves with.

The New Admin Panel Dashboard

In order to achieve this, we used the acclaimed Twitter Bootstrap framework. It has proven to be the right tool for creating the handy and neat interface we wanted.

Settings Wizard

Settings wizard is one of the new features to be introduced in CS-Cart 3.1.1

Thanks to the familiar design elements, the new admin panel is much easier for new users to learn.

The structure of the panel is inherited from the previous version, so experienced users will also not have any trouble adjusting to it. Performing daily administrative operations will be more comfortable.

Product Menu

Behind The Scenes

While working on the new administrator area look, we took the opportunity to revise the technical background as well.

The back-end has been reimplemented using the latest web technologies and standards, such as HTML 5 and CSS 3.

As a result, we have achieved general performance improvement and a tidier source code, which means easier maintenance in the future.

The work is still in progress, and the CS-Cart admin panel still needs some polishing and optimization.

You can try the new admin panel in action online in the Labs on of our website (fill the prompted HTTP authentication dialog with your CS-Cart Forums login and password).

The new admin panel (along with numerous other new features to be announced later) will be included in CS-Cart 3.1.1. Its release date it not yet confirmed, so stay tuned to CS-Cart news on Twitter and Facebook.

79 Responses to “New Admin Panel in CS-Cart 3.1.1”

1. kiril yovev says:

i cant wait :)

2. Dvs Fotis says:

Looks nicer, modern minmal.

Feels quicker on your demo server

I like the save buttons above the lists and search on the left of the lists.

Also the icons in the Addon section is a fresh touch!

Wich version will have this changes?

Fotis

3. Adam says:

This is extremely exciting. I am looking forward to this release.

4. Lesiu says:

I’ve bought CS-Cart a month ago and I haven’t launched my store yet. I think I’m goona wait for 3.1.1 to do it. Admin panel looks better. Thanks.

5. Big Boy says:

Very nice, You guys, really working hard to bring CS-Cart to the twenty first century.
    I’m very happy to be a customer for the pass four years.
    Best support .
    Best script on the market.
    Thanks.

• Czefalo says:

Script is good, indeed, but admin panel lacks some of features present in other software like usable category management (sequence/order for example). I also think that some of features/aspects seems to be better in present 3.0.x version (not dashboard of course). In my opinion now it’s too white and it lacks house icon. I know that logo links to dashboard, but house was nice and so obvious. I know! it’s not even preview release.

• Dear Czefalo,

Thank you for the suggestions. Could you please be a bit more specific about the category management bit? You could even open an issue in our UserVoice system.

As you have correctly noticed, the admin panel is yet to be modified, so some of the issues you pointed may be improved by the time the final version is released.

Actually, I personally miss the house icon too :-)

• Czefalo says:

Dear Konstantin, I’ll try to write more when I have some time. In general I think that category management in Magento is much more handy. In PrestaShop it’s much worse but still better than in current CS-Cart. In those two products you can change category sequence using drag&drop feature. It’s much more usable in Magento, because you can move category and change parent/child categories.

PS. Will you, please, bring back house icon? :)

6. Compact Discount says:

I can’t seem to find how to pick products to list on home page and how to add any written notes. In version 2 of Layout editor which was called Blocks I could go to home page, click site info and edit text info on the front page. In Featured Products I could click and add products of my choice to the front page. I don’t see anything like this in the new version. I’m I missing something? Is it disabled for the demo?

• Hello,

The Layout editor is practically just the current Block manager with the possibility to choose store theme. Apart the appearance, it is not much that has changed.

Unfortunately, I could no quite understand what the issue is, but if there is something you can do in the current Block manager, it will be possible to do the same thing in the future Layout editor.

The problem may be caused by the restrictions put on the Labs version of CS-Cart.

7. Amit says:

Love the fact that you guys are constantly pushing the bar higher. It’s a pleasure to get quality support from CS-Cart on top of a great product.

Looking forward to 3.1.1 ..will it go live before year end? ;-)

Also, any ETA for new skins? I am waiting to launch several stores, but would like to geet some skin options..

• Thanks, Amit! It is so good to know our work is appreciated by the clients.

There is a chance that a testing release will be available this year already. We plan to release some new skins by the time the final release is on. Stay tuned!

8. Glyndon says:

I really like the look and feel of the new admin area. Well done guys for the effort that you are putting in.

A few things that I would like to see are:

1) A bit more colour to the icons. They all blend into the rest of the content too much.
    2) Keep the existing colour coded ‘status’ selectors. Again they are easier to see at a glance due to the colour. A text link is not obvious enough.
    3) Drag and drop category and product ordering. I have been wishing for this for years as the current position number functionality is not quick enough when you are dealing with a lot of products.
    4) Product options not in a popup. Surely there is enough room on the page to load the content for option settings and variants under the option name?
    5) On the subject of options how about a way that you can quickly view the options when you are viewing the products as a list? Like an icon on that sits near quantity and status?
    6) Have the ability to close down the left sidebar. There is on need to always see content in there such as search.

• Hi Glyndon,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

You surely have some great suggestions. I will submit them further to the team, there is still time for some modifications to be applied.

Anyway, I personally find the ideas worth implementing, even in future versions, if we do not manage to do it by the upcoming release.

Thanks!

9. Sam says:

You guyes are working really great but one design is very important for vendors where it should be some basic field and very easy to add products , please add this under consideration to change design of add products with some popup process of 1-2-3 , having option skip or finish . This will bring a great + point and I am sure every one wanted who is using muilti vendor .

10. Darius says:

However backend looks functionality or in other words customizability haven’t changed in cscart for a very long time now.

For example:

Some people need pictrue next to product list in admin product category, some not. Some need picture next to product in order detail page some not. A way to do this is absent for very long time now.

Modern shops allow custom pick how many products you want to see in category, how should they be sorted, how displayed and many more.. Same for admin. I suppose it is rather stupid that you can make changes to setting on in setting page but not in actual place you are in.

• Dear Darius,

Yes, in CS-Cart 3.1.1, we primarily focused on revamping the look and improving the interface usability rather then severely redesigning the control routine.

Thank you for pointing this out, your we will make some improvements in the usability of the admin panel in the future versions, and hopefully some may appear in CS-Cart 3.1.1 already.

11. Flow says:

Looks great… but again no news about an API?

This is in my humble opinion the only thing that is stopping cs-cart from becoming a leading shopping cart. We can’t hook it up with anything. No helpdesk software, no accounting software, no crm, and so on. This really is the major downside of cs-cart that i’m sure makes people choose competitors that do implement easily.

12. rav says:

Wow.. Looks promising. Good work guys.. Can we get chance to get the update before this year end or least in Jan?

• The final release is unlikely to come out this year, as there is still a lot polishing to do.

I cannot disclose any release date information at the time, I can only say we do our best to get the new version up and ready as soon as possible.

Keep up withe the news.

13. Ana says:

It’s great to see that software evolves :)
    I have a test version that is in labs:
    Will there be the ability to manage banners?
    Version 2 miss the possibility to change the order manually detro banners and block products that existed in version 2. It was very useful. And in my case I used it a lot. Now everything is automatic and ordered the software as you wish.

Will there be the ability to enable / disable / edit content blocks on each product page as before?

Will there be safety psoibilidad sending the newsletter? I do not see this module
    Do not bring modules like google analytics or other? because I see the empty options.

• Thanks, Ana!

I see your point, and I agree with it — ordering banners manually is very important. Alphabet order is clearly not enough. We will consider the possibility to add it to CS-Cart 3.1.1 along with other useful user-suggested features.

It is possible to enable or disable a block for a particular product page, just switch to the Blocks tab on a detailed product page in the admin area. A storefront should be selected, if you are using Ultimate edition.
      Though editing block content is not available, as a workaround you could create a block with the desired content in the global Layout editor (ex-Block manager), disable it globally, and activate only for the page you need it on.

Both Google Analytics and Newsletters add-ons are available, we have not removed them. Go to Administration -> Add-ons as an admin user to see all available add-ons. If you are using Ultimate or Multi-Vendor edition, switch to All stores/All vendors.

Thank you for your questions and ideas! If there is anything else you want to share with us, do not hesitate to!

• Ana says:

Hello, I’m glad to know your answer.
        Being a new design some things apparently did not find them.
        Happy new year

14. Adrian Mullan says:

Hi Konstantin,

Great news about the new version.
    Can you elaborate more on the changes we can expect to the storefront skin in 3.1.1?

I know that there’s a ‘CSS editor mode’ planned, but we can’t access this functionality in the labs version (as it’s running in demo mode). Is there somewhere we can see this feature or better yet, an experimental version we can download and test locally?

Will there be a new storefront skin or will it be the same as the current version?

• Dear Adrian,

The beta is expected shortly, you will be able to experiment with all the new features including the CSS editor mode locally and with no demo mode restrictions,

We will release some new skins later, they are currently under development.

• Adrian says:

Thanks Konstantin.

Can you confirm if the storefront skin in 3.1.1 will continue to use the 960.gs framework or whether it will also move to the Twitter Bootstrap framework like the admin skin?

• Yes, we will continue to use 960.gs. We will have it rewritten in LESS, and it will be possible to set up adaptive layouts as well as set custom storefront width (either in percent or in pixels).

I know this is a very long-awaited feature, and I am glad to be able to confirm that it is to be added eventually :-)

15. Alexsey says:

Looks really great. It would be nice to see tree comments for news, the opportunity to write a brief news article for a preview, and sections. Do you have any development in this direction going?

16. Adrian says:

Also, can the skins be stored directly in S3 or is it limited to only images + css/js?

17. Craig says:

Y’all might be impressed, but, I’m not.

First thing I see are typos:

Ravenue
    Abandoned cards

Really? You might want to run the Language file through a Spell Checker … I know, “cards” instead of “carts” wouldn’t have been caught, but, “Ravenue” instead of “Revenue” would have.

The second thing that I noticed are menu items either missing or buried in another page: Skin Selector is now on the Layout editor page.

I sure wish they would FIX the things wrong (bug) and add new features instead of screwing around with the Admin interface. An interface that NOBODY other than the Admins see and I see nothing new.

Ever heard the saying “lipstick on a bulldog”? Well, this is an example of that … all we got here is “new lipstick on same bulldog”.

• Dear Craig,

Thanks for the tips.

The work is in progress, a there are still some untranslated placeholder elements left (like “Ravenue”) which will be of course replaced with the properly spelled variants.

We have merged Blocks and Skin Selector to a single Layout editor since the both were related to layout editing.

Bug fixing never stops, even when new features are developed. By the way, if you happen to come across with any bug, we will be much grateful if you submitted it to our bug tracker.

Thank you again for pointing out these issues!

18. Mark says:

Great admin panel looks like Magento just better, more simple and with better colors :) Right now we are using Magento but in the near future we will switch to CS Cart because we think is better and more simple and it works as it should. I have some pre order questions.
    1.) When version 3.1.1. will be available?
    2.) I read somewhere on forum that API is comming. Is this true? Version 3.1.1 has API build in?
    3.) Like i said we already use Magento and we custom developed some sort of Admin panel for handling shipping, display orders etc. So i am really interested into API features. I am not studying CS cart much so far but i just noticed CS cart hooks. So i guess this is more suitable for developing add-ons, template changes etc. Hope that with API feature i will be also able to retrieve for example customer data, order data, product data etc. somewhere from “behind” (not as part of the add-on or template). So will APi provide such a functionality? Thanks for your answers and continue with a great work.

• Dear Mark,

Thank you for having interest in CS-Cart, I hope you will like it here :-)

1) The version 3.1.1 is under some heavy development at the moment, it is hard to say when it will be released. Prior to the final release, we will publish a beta. It is expected in February, but at this point we cannot give any strict promises.
      2) Yes, this is true, the API is scheduled to be included in CS-Cart 3.1.1.
      3) Yes, you got it exactly right. With the help of the API you will be able to manipulate store data with no need to write an add-on or connect to code hooks. I cannot tell you whether the initial API version will support all store object types, but customers and products will surely be.

If you have further questions, I am happy to answer!

19. EddyMac says:

Why are you jumping from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1? What happened to 3.1?

• Hi,

Well, that is an easy one :-)

You see, CS-Cart versions always have this 3-piece notation, with the first digit to denote a major version, and the following 2 to brand a minor release.

We also do not end a version number with a 0. It is more of a tradition than a technical necessity.

Thus, 3.1.1, and not 3.1 or 3.1.0.

I hope I answered your question. If you have any more, don’t hesitate to ask.

20. kim says:

cs-cart most imfortant issue is speed.

why does not hang on index file for DB TABLE, for example)

company_id ,lan_code —-it make DB SLOW.. for importatnt keyword.

so can not faster then other site. this is very very important

21. Ken says:

Admin really needs to take up less width space. In today’s day and age many of us use large monitors, lets say 24″, in a split screen mode to work more efficiently. Unfortunately, viewing the new website design this way results in too much scrolling side to side to see everything.

The demo does seem to be faster. Hopefully, that tracks with the final release with lots of products, features and filters.

Thanks for continuing to improve things.

• Dear Ken,

We really tried to make the admin panel is as narrow is it can be. Make the right pan smaller and it won’t be able to contain the block manager. And the left pan is already quite thin.

There may be a possibility that the left pan will be toggleable, and you will be able to save space by hiding it, but this is merely a suggestion and not a scheduled task at the moment.

• Ken says:

Minimizing fields not being used would certainly help if you are going with the side bar style. Ultimately keeping some of those side items on the top like they are in the current version (like search fields) will reduce the screen width requirement. The other possiblility would be pop down menus for searching and some other fields that are taking some width. We certainly do not need to see the search fields as static all the time on the admin page.

• Ken says:

Also, the width is mostly a concern for primary areas used to process and view orders. some of the other areas are still of concern but some areas of admin are visited rarely and the width is not an issue.

22. Sylvia says:

There is no “Spelling Check” in the “Full Description” field. It would be nice to have this very basic function.

• Dear Sylvia,

Most browsers (including the popular ones, like Google Chrome and Firefox) have spell check built in or provided by special add-ons.

Embedding spell check for a single field in CS-Cart would affect the performance and, in general, would be quite unnecessary, as browsers can do it already and for all entry fields. It is more reasonable to leave such a task to the browser than to “reinvent the wheel”.

23. Alin says:

It will support php 5.4.x ?

24. Michiel says:

It is a nice improvement for the design, however I was hoping on some new stuff like ebay and amazon support which should be released a few years ago or futures like sending a email to a customer after x days for asking to fill in a review for the items he purchased.
    Thats why I’m a little disappointed overall.