Hi!

Earlier, we posted server tweaks for accelerating CS-Cart to 95 Google PageSpeed points. To apply those tweaks you must know how to install and configure PHP, its libraries and extensions.

Even if you know how to do that, you’ll need the full control over the server that the usual shared web hosting doesn’t offer.

We understand that most CS-Cart store owners are not system administrators. That’s why we prepared a script that will automatically configure the server on DigitalOcean cloud hosting for maximum CS-Cart speed.

Why DigitalOcean

We chose DigitalOcean cloud hosting for 3 reasons:

• It’s cheap: the cheapest server with 512 MB RAM, 1-core processor, and 20 GB storage, costing $5 per month (2 hot dogs at Times Square).
  • It’s fast: all servers use solid-state drives (SSD) that are faster and more reliable than conventional spinning hard disk drives (HDD).
  • It’s popular: DigitalOcean has a big community and tons of official and unofficial documentation in different languages.

Prepare Your Hosting on DigitalOcean

1. Go to the DigitalOcean website and register an account
  2. After you log in to your account, hit the Create Droplet button:
  3. Name your hosting and select a plan:
  4. Choose a region for your server. We recommend that you choose the region that is closest to your location:
  5. Select your server’s operating system. We recommend CentOS 7.2 x64:
  6. Click the Create Droplet button at the bottom of the page.
  7. Assign the domain name of your future store to your new droplet using these official instructions:
  8. Configure Your Server

You’ll need an SSH-client to connect to your server, execute the configuration script, and install CS-Cart. Here are some free, commonly-used SSH-clients:

• Mac OS X: Terminal, iTerm 2
    • CentOS and Linux: Terminal
    • Windows (except Win10): PuTTy

We used the Terminal in the instructions.

1. DigitalOcean has sent you an email with your server’s credentials to the address you had signed up with. Check your mailbox for the “Your New Droplet” email from support@support.digitalocean.com.
  2. Open the SSH-client on your computer and connect to your server using the username, IP address, and password from the email:
  3. After you connect to your server, reset the password.

You have to change the password only at the first connection to your server. Please use a strong password—it’s better to be safe than sorry.
  4. Execute the script for automatic server configuration. We strongly recommend that you enter this script manually and not copy-paste it:
  5. curl −sL http://cartoma.tk/installer | bash −s −− [your domain name]

Take a coffee break—the script will set up your server in a couple of minutes.

6. When the script completes the server configuration, you will see the path to your future store directory and database information. Save this data as you will need it later.

Install CS-Cart

1. Go to the CS-Cart folder:
  2. cd /var/www/html/[your domain name]

3. Download the CS-Cart installation package from our website:
  4. wget ‘https://www.cs-cart.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.get_trial&page_id=297&edition=ultimate’ -O cscart.zip

5. Unzip the CS-Cart installation package:
  6. unzip cscart.zip

7. Change the owner and set file permissions for CS-Cart installation by executing these commands one by one:
  8. chown -R service ./
    chmod 644 config.local.php
    chmod -R 755 design images var
    find design -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644
    find images -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644
    find var -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644

9. Open your store’s URL in your browser and click [install]:
  10. Read and accept the CS-Cart License agreement:
  11. Enter your MySQL information, define admin credentials, and click Install:
  12. Congratulations! You now have a fast CS-Cart store hosted on DigitalOcean.

We hope that these instructions helped you quickly get your CS-Cart store up and running.

If you have any problems, please contact us or search for answers in the CS-Cart Forums.

Follow CS-Cart on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with CS-Cart news and announcements.

Follow CS-Cart news & promotions

24 thoughts on “Pay $5 for Hosting on DigitalOcean and Get over 90 Google PageSpeed Points for Your CS-Cart Store out of the Box

• November 27, 2015 at 21:55

Thank you for this excellent tutorial – perfect timing as I look to move a growing site away from shared hosting and can’t afford dedicated hosting. My notes below.

Error in the instructions (using Putty on Win10)
    Step #2 of Install CS-Cart section. I had to switch the zip download from double to single quotes: wget “https://www.cs-cart.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.get_trial&page_id=297&edition=ultimate” -O cscart.zip

Speed – 86/88 for me looks okay for a straight out of the box setup but… I’m sharing my results here as my Site5.com shared hosting site tests faster than my Digital Ocean test site despite being almost twice the page size, not having SSD’s, running Apache instead of NGINX (supposedly faster for some site types) etc. My magic is tweaking htaccess which I don’t know how to do with nginx.

What’s installed? – if you watch the script and you know the names you get a decent idea but might be nice to list all the components. I saw postfix, ftp and nginx.

How to maintain – Security, stability, updates… I know it’s not a simple question but as the tutorial is intended for non admins it should be addressed so folks know what they’re getting into.

Coffee break – should be during the server configuration step not the droplet ;)

Digital Ocean – $5 only if you stay a full month. You can turn your droplet on and off or delete it and you’ll only be billed for when it’s up and running. I’ll be billed something like 2 cents for my test today, just the mustard on one of the hotdogs :)

• November 30, 2015 at 10:55

Hello Grafis!

Thank you very much for your valuable remarks.

We are happy to know that you get interested in this tutorial and tested it.

Kind regards,
      CS-Cart team

• November 28, 2015 at 00:53

Hi guys!

what’s new for the black friday this year?
    dont you have somthing for us?

Shimon

• November 30, 2015 at 11:09

Hi guys!

We did’t plan anything for this year—neither on Black Friday nor on Cyber Monday.

May be next year (=

• December 1, 2015 at 13:17

Dear Team

It’s nice that you are adding value for webmasters by putting together such tutorials.

One question : how would we go about this if we want to TRANSFER an existing cs-cart to digital ocean, keeping in mind all the optimizations you have shared?

Would be great if you can help out on this, as I assume a lot of webmasters may be looking to move their store over, with optimizations applied.

Warm Regards
    Amit

• December 3, 2015 at 11:25

Hello Amit!

Thank you for your interest to these instructions.

Before transferring the existing CS-Cart store to a DIgitalOcean server, you have to configure it according to the instructions in this post.

We are currently preparing a document that contains instructions on how to transfer CS-Cart from one server to another. So after you configure the DO server, check this doc for instructions on transferring the store http://docs.cs-cart.com/4.3.x/install/moving_to_another_server.html

We are still working on this doc, but it will be ready and approved in a couple of days.

• December 22, 2015 at 06:37

Hello Yan,

When I using simple droplet, with Digital Ocean’s tutorial, I can using SSL ok.

But, after I using the script: curl -sL http://cartoma.tk/installer | bash -s ‐‐ [my-domain]
        I can not using SSL. I tried with reinstall SSL or try run the script before install SSL but are not OK.

I think the script on this tutorial has some issue. Please double check or testing with SSL install after run the cscript.

• December 22, 2015 at 11:55

Hi!

Have you tried to enter the script manually and not to copy-paste it?

If you haven’t, please try to enter the script manually to your console.

Probably, this blog displays the “-” symbols incorrectly, that’s why the script fails.

Let us know if this helps.

• December 23, 2015 at 12:16

Hi,

I try reinstall more than 10 times but not OK.

Can you make a complete tutorial with ssl install? I will try with the new help.

Thanks

• December 23, 2015 at 12:26

OK, we’ll figure out what causes this issue with SSL and let you know here in the additional comment as soon as we get results.

Thank you for your report!

• December 23, 2015 at 13:07

Could you please provide us with this additional information:

– When you execute the script, does it successfully complete the server configuration or fails during the execution?

– What exactly goes wrong with SSL? What error do you get?

– Do you use a bought or self-signed SSL certificate?

If you use DigitalOcean’s tutorial https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-an-ssl-certificate-from-a-commercial-certificate-authority, then you get a self-signed SSL cerificate. Maybe your browser doesn’t work with it properly.

• December 23, 2015 at 18:44

Hi,

When I excute the script, it complete successfull.

I can not using SSL. I dont know what error I get

I bought a SSL certificate from ssls.com

Can you make a fully tutorial with ssl and test it ok?

I have add to https://www.halongbaysapatours.com but Its SSL is still not working.

Please help me now! Thanks

• December 24, 2015 at 11:21

Hello again!

The developer of the script, Gleb Goncharov, confirms that Cartomatic doesn’t support SSL/TLS. You are welcome to create an issue in GitHub (https://github.com/gongled/cartomatic).

• December 24, 2015 at 17:25

So sad! I am really want to install SSL for my site. Hope you will fix the issue soon!

Thank so much!

• December 27, 2015 at 17:09

When you complete fix the issue? Please notify me!

Thanks!

• December 28, 2015 at 11:10

Hi!

We’ve created a Feature request on this issue. As soon as there is any progress on this, we’ll let you know.

Thank you!

• January 3, 2016 at 13:25

Hi Yan,

Have you got anything update? May be I cancel Digital Ocean account and back to cPanel. Because we lost many customer when change to Digital Ocean with no SSL support :(

Please keep me in touch!

Thanks

• January 3, 2016 at 13:47

Hello Harry!

For now, developing CS-Cart 4.3.6 is our main priority, so we haven’t worked on this SSL issue yet.

As soon as we make any changes to the installer, we’ll let you know.

Kind regards,
            Yan

• December 24, 2015 at 07:16

Can you make a chapter with ssl install on Digitalocean? I cannot install SSL.

• December 24, 2015 at 11:23

Hi Harry!

The developer of the script confirms that Cartomatic doesn’t support SSL/TLs yet. Feel free to create an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/gongled/cartomatic).

• January 14, 2016 at 18:40

Hello guys.
    I’m also waiting the fix of the SSL issue.
    Appreciate your great work, thanks!

Comments are closed.