Earlier, we posted server tweaks for accelerating CS-Cart to 95 Google PageSpeed points. To apply those tweaks you must know how to install and configure PHP, its libraries and extensions.
Even if you know how to do that, you’ll need the full control over the server that the usual shared web hosting doesn’t offer.
We understand that most CS-Cart store owners are not system administrators. That’s why we prepared a script that will automatically configure the server on DigitalOcean cloud hosting for maximum CS-Cart speed.
We chose DigitalOcean cloud hosting for 3 reasons:
- It’s cheap: the cheapest server with 512 MB RAM, 1-core processor, and 20 GB storage, costing $5 per month (2 hot dogs at Times Square).
- It’s fast: all servers use solid-state drives (SSD) that are faster and more reliable than conventional spinning hard disk drives (HDD).
- It’s popular: DigitalOcean has a big community and tons of official and unofficial documentation in different languages.
Prepare Your Hosting on DigitalOcean
- Go to the DigitalOcean website and register an account
- After you log in to your account, hit the Create Droplet button:
- Name your hosting and select a plan:
- Choose a region for your server. We recommend that you choose the region that is closest to your location:
- Select your server’s operating system. We recommend CentOS 7.2 x64:
- Click the Create Droplet button at the bottom of the page.
- Assign the domain name of your future store to your new droplet using these official instructions:
Configure Your Server
- DigitalOcean has sent you an email with your server’s credentials to the address you had signed up with. Check your mailbox for the “Your New Droplet” email from email@example.com.
- Open the SSH-client on your computer and connect to your server using the username, IP address, and password from the email:
- After you connect to your server, reset the password.
You have to change the password only at the first connection to your server. Please use a strong password—it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Execute the script for automatic server configuration. We strongly recommend that you enter this script manually and not copy-paste it:
- When the script completes the server configuration, you will see the path to your future store directory and database information. Save this data as you will need it later.
Take a coffee break—the script will set up your server in a couple of minutes.
- Go to the CS-Cart folder:
- Download the CS-Cart installation package from our website:
- Unzip the CS-Cart installation package:
- Change the owner and set file permissions for CS-Cart installation by executing these commands one by one:
- Open your store’s URL in your browser and click [install]:
- Read and accept the CS-Cart License agreement:
- Enter your MySQL information, define admin credentials, and click Install:
- Congratulations! You now have a fast CS-Cart store hosted on DigitalOcean.
We hope that these instructions helped you quickly get your CS-Cart store up and running.