Josh Wardini, Community Manager at Webmastersjury
eBay is a home to millions of sellers worldwide even though in recent years it got competition from standalone ecommerce software such as CS-Cart Multi-Vendor, which helps you create your own online marketplace.
Today we take a look at some interesting facts about eBay, one of the most successful ecommerce platforms in the world.
- There are 1.1 billion live listings on eBay.
- The number of sellers exceeds 25 million.
- There are more than 250 million classified users.
- There are 168 million active buyers.
- There are more than 2 billion transactions per day.
- The eBay app has been downloaded 380 million times.
eBay is pretty successful as a company, as it has made 60 acquisitions through the years.
- Acquired PayPal for $1.5B in 2002.
- Acquired StubHub for $310M in 2007.
- Bought Skype for $2.6B in 2005, and sold it in 2009 for $2.75B
- Acquired Magento for over $180M in 2011.
- Acquired GSI Commerce for $2.4B in 2011.
Gumtree (2005), Zong (2011), Expertmaker (2016), Corrigon (2016) are among the other important acquisitions made by eBay. We can conclude that since it was founded in 1995, eBay went on to become one of the most famous ecommerce platforms in the world.